Best Books for Medical Students
Below. is a summary of recommended books for medical students, updated for 2018. Most have more thorough write-ups on the recommended books. Enjoy!
- Pick one of these must-have atlases: Netter’s or Thieme
- Optional: Moore’s (a textbook), Rohen’s (photographic atlas)
- For our complete write-up on anatomy books for medical students, click here.
- Must-have: BRS Physiology
- Recommended: Physiology by Costanzo
- If you prefer a more in-depth textbook, pick one of these: Guyton and Hall or Boron and Boulpaep
- For our complete write-up on physiology books for medical students, click here.
- Recommended: Histology: A Text and Atlas
- Must-have: Fundamentals of Pathology (Pathoma)
- Choose one of these must-haves: Blueprints Neurology or Case Files Neurology
- For more practice questions: PreTest Neurology
- Must-have: First Aid for the Psychiatry Clerkship and Lange Q&A Psychiatry
- Optional: Clinical Psychopharmacology Made Ridiculously Simple and PreTest Psychiatry
- For our complete write-up on Psychiatry books for medical students, click here.
- Recommended: Blueprints Obstetrics & Gynecology or Case Files Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Optional (for more questions): PreTest Obstetrics & Gynecology
- For our complete write-up on OB GYN books for medical students, click here.
- Must-have: BRS Pediatrics
- Recommended: PreTest Pediatrics
- For our complete write-up on Pediatrics books for medical students, click here.
- Recommended: Case Files Family Medicine
- Optional: PreTest Family Medicine (a good source but little outdated, will be recommended when the 4th edition is released)
- Must-have: De Virgilio’s Surgery: A Case Based Clinical Review and Pestana’s
- Recommended: Surgical Recall
- For our complete write-up on Surgery books for medical students, click here.
- Recommended: NMS Casebook or Step Up to Medicine
- Must-have for EKG interpretation: Rapid Interpretation of EKGs or The Only EKG Book You’ll Ever Need
- Recommended: Emergency Medicine Secrets
- Recommended: Ophthobook
- Recommended: Lookingbill & Marks’ Principles of Dermatology
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R)
- Recommended: Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Pocketpedia
- Recommended: Handbook of Evidence-Based Radiation Oncology (note: this is a resident/attending-level text)
- Recommended: Plastic Surgery Secrets Plus
- Recommended: Handbook of Neurosurgery (note: this is a resident/attending-level text)